Account aggregators are regulated entities that facilitate consented data sharing under DEPA. They act as the bridge between data providers such as banks, and data consumers such as lenders—to enable the sharing of an user’s financial based on user consent.
Data providers are called Financial Information Providers (FIP) and data consumers are called Financial Information Users (FIU) in the AA ecosystem
For example, let’s say a lender wants to check the bank statements of a user to check their loan eligibility. Here’s how the AA handles it—
- The lender makes a data consent request, which is routed to the AA.
- The user receives a notification about the lender want to look at their bank statements.
- The user can decide to approve or reject the consent request.
- If they approve, the data is fetched from the FIP—in this case, the bank—and shared with the lender.
The consent request carries details about the type of data, how long the FIU needs it for, and how they plan to use it. The user can take into consideration all of these factors before deciding to approve or reject the request. The user can also decide to withdraw consent for a previously-approved request. This way, the user remains the custodian of thier own data.
This AA framework open up a lot of opportunities for FIU apps with use-cases like personal finance management, loan underwriting and monitoring that rely on access to financial data.
Setu’s AA Sandbox enables developers to build such apps with the AA framework. The Setu AA Sandbox is a self-contained demo environment and does not interact with live AA infrastructure or perform fetches of real customer data. Future live services will be provided in conjunction with a licensed NBFC-AA partner.
What can you build?#
With the AA sandbox, developers can build FIU apps and features that rely on financial data. These can be apps for personal finance management, underwriting and loan monitoring. To get started, try out our open source sample app.
The sandbox comes with mock financial data for 3 FIP types, and we will soon add the ability for you to configure custom mock data sources. If you would like to test this feature, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building with the Setu AA Sandbox#
The AA sandbox provides building blocks for FIU applications. This includes:
- HTTP APIs
- Developers can call these APIs to create consent requests, test the approval or rejection of consent requests and fetch data for approved consent.
- End-user experience
- Setu’s AA screens will be used by your customers to approve or reject incoming consent requests
- This UI is built to be embeddable inside web and native mobile apps