Setu BillPay allows you to register as an agent on the BBPS network and enable BBPS bill payments on your app or website. All approvals are done by Setu, our bank partner and BBPS.
This quickstart covers how you can integrate with our APIs, develop corresponding screen flows and go live with BBPS payments.
How to integrate#
Use provided API reference to start integration. Request for a detailed API run through from Setu team, if needed. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, should you need any help during integration.
A summary of the integration process—
- Get UAT credentials and start integration
- Share screens for NPCI approval
- Run and submit test cases
- Submit details for agent ID creation
- Get production credentials and go live
Each of these steps are described in detail below.
Look at the polling mechanism that should be implemented to correctly retrieve API results.
Step 1 — Get UAT credentials and start integration#
UAT credentials are issued after Setu and the bank complete evaluation of your agent application. Using the UAT credentials you can access the Mock / UAT environments.
Use the mock and UAT environment to test your implementation end to end with sample data.
The mock environment is provided by Setu to mimic all error codes you would encounter in the live environment, so that you can get a consistent experience while doing development. Use the integration process outlined here.
The UAT environment is a fully integrated environment involving Setu, the bank, BBPS UAT & biller systems.
There is a small chance that the all components may not have uptime since it is UAT.
Step 2 — Share screens for NPCI approval#
The screens you build as part of your app needs to conform to BBPS guidelines. You should submit a document with screenshots for the following screens—
- Category list screen, on which all BBPS categories are listed.
- Biller list screen, on which all billers under a selected category are listed.
- Customer input screen, where a customer enters identifiers specific to a selected biller, before their bill can be fetched.
- Payment confirmation screen, on which the customer confirms bill amount and proceeds with payment.
- Payment status screen, when payment is being processed and is finally either successful or failed.
- Confirmation SMS, this is the text that is sent after a payment is successful or failed.
- Bill receipt screen, through which a customer can view and download receipt for a successful transaction.
- Raise complaint screen, where a customer can raise complaint. Complaints are raised against specific transaction IDs.
- Complaint status screen, where a customer can see the latest status associated with registered complaint.
You may use the BBPS logo and branding guidelines provided here.
Here is a BBPS-compliant UX flow
and a quick summary of BBPS guidelines to keep in mind—
- The app / website UI must contain a button for “Pay bills” with the BBPS logo shown.
- BBPS logo must be present on top right corner of all screens used by customer during search of biller or bill and also for screens relating to payment of bill.
- BBPS assured logo must always be shown on the payment sucessful and payment receipt pages. The regular BBPS logo can be removed from these.
Step 3 — Run and submit test cases#
Run test cases mentioned in this document and submit documented results using a copy of the provided file. The results will verified by Setu and the bank to generate production credentials.
Postman logs not considered valid. Share results only once screen integration is complete.
Step 4 — Submit details for agent ID creation#
To operate on BBPS as an agent you need to create an agent ID. You need to submit details in a format specified by Setu, and you will get agent ID corresponding to one of the following agent categories—
- Internet banking
- Internet application
- Mobile banking
- Mobile application
- Business correspondent
- Bank branch
- Offline agent
If you wish to support any offline collections, you will need to create agent IDs for all your offline collection points.
Step 5 — Get Production credentials and go live#
You will receive production credentials once all the approvals and agreements are done. On receiving the production credentials, you can verify your integration and go live.